Spencer And Hair
I’ve been shaven head buddhist guy bald and I’ve been fluffy beard 18 inch long hair hipster dude with just about every in-between step over the last few decades.
With the question “how did you get your hair so nice” being asked to me at least once a week from strangers at the grocery store to comments on my Linkedin account I thought it was time I jot down my pointers.
The men in my lineage have a tendency to bald so in my mid 20’s I started using a topical hair growth solution which has some strong but not conclusive clinical trial behind it.
This solution get’s used on my widows peak and surrounding areas as well as patchy bits of my beard. Here’s my go to formulation these day.
When I grew a beard I apparently also grew a sign on the back of my head that said “give me beard oil” which has become a prevalent gift for me over the years leading me to try many a brand and style.
The best one I’ve used is the cheapest and Trader Joe's Shea Butter & Coconut Oil Hair Serum which costs $4 at the store.
The way you treat you hair is likely more important than the goop you put in it. Here’s my non scientific list.
- Don’t wash your hair more than once a week. Use Dry Shampoo to get your through. This is my go to
- Don’t go to bed with wet hair if you can help it.
- Don’t brush your hair while wet and if you’re going to do it anyways (like I do…) use a “shower comb” and go gentle
- Let your hair down as much as possible. No hats or hair ties when you can help it.
- Don’t put tension on your hair when you pull it back. Keep it loose.
- Change your pillow case at-least once a week.
I don’t spend a ton of time on my hair all thought I do have some “hairspirations” that I hope to look like one day.